Article provided by: Winton & Hiestand Law Group PLLC
The consequences of an accident involving a truck can be catastrophic, considering the size of the vehicle and the potentially large numbers of parties involved in the event. At Winton & Hiestand Law Group, we have the resources you need, and we are ready to help if you are looking for a semi-truck accident lawyer in Louisville, KY.
How many accidents are caused by semi-trucks?
Statistically, in the US, there are annually over 500,000 road accidents or involving different types of trucks. The vast majority of those accidents happen on the roads outside the cities or in rural areas.
Due to the large size and weight of a truck, on many of those accidents are several vehicles involved, making it challenging to establish whose fault it was. From the beginning, we would like to mention that not all truck accidents are happening because of the truck driver. The light vehicle drivers also have them share.
Causes of truck accidents
There are many reasons why such accidents occur, truck companies having them part when hiring inexperienced drivers or doing improper maintenance. Some of the common reasons can include:
- Problems with the brakes or tires
- Inadequate speed for the weather conditions
- Use of prescription drugs causing somnolence
- Distracted driving
- Unfamiliarity with the roads
- Overloading or improperly strapped goods causing tipping
One of the more pressing issues is the driver’s fatigue even though there are national norms with regards the number of hours a driver should spend behind the wheel. Sometimes drivers are paid on mileage, pushing them to cover vast distances in a short period for an extra buck. On the long run, this will cause drowsiness, slower reaction time, headaches or nerves from too much caffeine.
Who is liable in a truck accident?
Even the truck driver was the one who caused the accident, the hiring agency, the trucking company, or some other parties are also sharing the liability. For example, the company who manufactured the ropes used for strapping the goods may also be held responsible.
Determining the liability in case of a collision with a commercial vehicle runs deep and a semi-truck accident lawyer in Louisville, KY, can identify all the parties involved:
- The trucking company – a cursory inspection, loose safety procedures, or impossible to achieve deadlines are all causes that can lead to an accident.
- The cargo company – an improperly secured load can cause the goods to fall off and to unbalance the truck or to damage other vehicles.
- Spare parts manufacturer – a mechanical failure, blown tires, or faulty brakes can cause the accident and are independent of driver’s performance.
- The truck owner – if it is not the trucking company, the owner is the one responsible for maintaining the vehicle in proper working conditions.
A truck accident is quite complicated due to the many parties involved, and you will need a professional semi-truck accident lawyer in Louisville, KY, to represent you. At Winton & Hiestand Law Group, we are committed to serve you in the best way possible and to maximize your compensation.